What are mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are pesky buzzing insects that create serious threats when infesting our properties in large numbers. They are a type of fly classified into the family Culicidae. They are easy to identify by their thin waists, lightweight pair of wings, six legs, and elongated mouthparts. Both male and female mosquitoes use these mouthparts for drinking plant nectar, and female mosquitoes will bite humans or animals to feed off their blood. Female mosquitoes need this blood in order to develop viable eggs.
Mosquitoes are fairly prolific, and an infestation of these pests may quickly grow out of control on your property. Professional mosquito control is essential for removing these pests, and the best way to keep mosquitoes away is to trust Eco Valley Pest Control.
Are mosquitoes dangerous?
Though many people think mosquitoes are just a nuisance, they are actually quite dangerous. The bites that mosquitoes leave behind on humans may trigger allergic reactions ranging from mild itchiness to severe reactions like anaphylaxis. Mosquito bites also carry the risk of introducing bacteria and pathogens to humans. Diseases carried by mosquitoes include severe illnesses like the Zika virus, West Nile virus, yellow fever, and malaria, among others. The more bites you receive from mosquitoes, the higher your chances of contracting a serious illness or infection.
Why do I have a mosquito problem?
Mosquitoes generally gravitate to properties with lots of moist, humid areas to hide out in and plenty of standing water to lay their eggs. Overgrown grass, plenty of sweet-smelling flowers, and humans or animals spending lots of time outdoors will also attract mosquitoes and encourage them to settle around your property.
Where will I find mosquitoes?
You'll often find mosquitoes around overgrown foliage, swampy or moist areas, standing water, and flower beds. If they do invade interior areas, mosquitoes may be seen around windows and doors, near damp areas, or trying to find the nearest human or animal to bite.
How do I get rid of mosquitoes?
Get rid of mosquitoes the easy way by contacting Eco Valley Pest Control for mosquito removal assistance. Our team will help you identify your major mosquito problem areas and provide you with the expertly tailored treatments your property needs to efficiently combat these pests.
Call us today to learn more about the best way to control mosquitoes and reclaim your property from these dangerous pests.
How can I prevent mosquitoes in the future?
Prevent mosquito problems from occurring in the future by following our expert tips to make your property less hospitable to these pests.
- Cut back all areas of overgrown foliage and long grass to remove moist, humid, or shady areas where mosquitoes love to hide.
- Make sure there are no areas of standing water around your property, and be thorough, as mosquitoes only need a few inches of water to lay their eggs.
- Add larvicide or a filter that keeps water circulating to water features like birdbaths to prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs in these spots.
- Plant citronella, lemongrass, and other plants that repel mosquitoes to deter these pests from buzzing around your property.
- Install window and door screens in addition to weatherstripping to ensure mosquitoes stay outside your structure.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants, or apply mosquito repellent to your skin before spending time outdoors to prevent mosquito bites.
Contact Eco Valley Pest Control today for more information about home pest control, mosquito prevention or for assistance eliminating active infestations on your property.