Ants In Phoenix: A Comprehensive Prevention And Control Guide
June 30, 2023
A variety of invasive ant species can be found in Arizona. No matter which type of ant is near your home, if they are able to come inside your house, they will cause a lot of problems for you and your family. These tiny bugs are not only annoying, but they can also be dangerous to have around and are commonly known to contaminate food with harmful pathogens.
If you have any ants in your Maricopa County home, you will need the help of a Phoenix pest control specialist to get rid of them. At Eco Valley Pest Control, we use a customized approach when it comes to ant control. No matter what type of ant infestation you have in your home, we have the perfect solution for you.
The Social Hierarchy Of Ants: How Colonies Are Structured
Ants are social insects that live in large colonies. To ensure that the colony is running efficiently, most are separated into three castes, which include:
- Queen: The queen's only job is to reproduce. Usually, there is only one queen in each colony. However, some species, like the Argentine ant, have several queens that live together in one nest.
- Reproductives: With the exception of the queen, all reproductive ants are male. Like the queen, their only job is to reproduce. Usually, the male ant will die shortly after it mates with the queen.
- Workers: All worker ants are female. The workers are tasked with doing anything and everything that needs to be done in the colony. Some of their jobs include expanding the nest, foraging for food, and taking care of the young ants.
When ants are outside, they will typically use dirt to build ant mounds. However, if ants in Phoenix come into your home, they might use the insulation behind your walls to build their nests.
Ant Problems: Ants In The Home Can Be More Than A Nuisance
Ants are one of the most annoying types of pests that will invade your home. Because they live in such large numbers, if you have an ant infestation, it can seem like ants are in every inch of your home. While these invasive bugs can definitely be a nuisance, the real problem is the harm they can cause when they are around.
Ants are filthy creatures that can carry a wide range of bacteria around on their bodies. When ants walk around your food, the bacteria can fall off their body and onto your food. If they are able to contaminate your food, some of the illnesses you could contract include salmonellosis, E. coli infections, staph infections, clostridium, and streptococcus.
Ant Prevention Is Key: Effective Tips And Tricks
If you have an ant infestation, it can be challenging to get rid of it. In fact, it is almost impossible to get rid of an ant infestation without the help of a professional ant control specialist. The best way to keep your house ant-free is to stop these insects from coming inside in the first place. Some of the best ways to prevent ants from coming into your home include:
- Keep all food in a refrigerator, freezer, or sealed container
- Sweep and mop your floors frequently to ensure there are no crumbs or food particles
- Take your trash out regularly
- Put a tight lid on your trash can
Ants will usually come into your home by finding small gaps and cracks around your home. Make sure that all potential entry points are sealed.
Professional And Control: A Great Way To Keep Ants Out For Good
Professional home pest control in Phoenix is the best way to keep ants out of your home all year long. At Eco Valley Pest Control, we can eliminate and prevent ant infestations in your Phoenix home. Contact us today to schedule your free inspection.